“It’s not really a shorter skirt, I just have longer legs…”
belt by Mariana Marin www.almarshop.ro
I remember I once had a boyfriend and the relationship was in the first months. I never liked the “parents” thing, so I was trying to delay the “official” moment as much as possible. Meanwhile, his mom paid him a visit and she saw my skirt before she actually saw me – I had left some things of mine in his apartment. That one was a very short skirt indeed. His answer to her was “Well, Ligia is not tall at all, so the skirt is not so short”. I was so amused about his answer when he told me about it.
I’m not going to say much about how people shape their fix ideas
and the reasons that have made some of them very judgemental – after all, we all have some preconceptions, and it’s good to be aware of that fact, it helps us relax a little.
But I say that I like short skirts. I always have. I adored my mom who was wearing those very-very short skirts when she was young, back in the 60’s – those black and white photos with those girls, friends of hers, and my mom, happy and full of hope remained forever in my memory linked with their short skirts and their short dresses and with the warm spring and autumn light which seemed to burst out of the paper through decades.
Don’t get me wrong (or please do, if it makes you feel good), I also like long skirts, I like skirts of all lengths and of course I know that there are moments in which a longer skirt is required. A dress or a skirt says a lot about your femininity (you can be bold, romantic, tough, shy, sexy and so on) and about your personal style. But a special place in my heart is for the short skirt. Maybe because the shortness of the skirt is subject to controversy and maybe I like these things. And, even though fashion allows all lengths of skirts, it takes some courage to wear the short one. And it’s also the image danger, the possibility of you being perceived as an “easy” woman.
So, you have three choices:
Number 1. Never wear short skirts and be forever safe.
Number 2. Wear short skirts whenever you feel like it and don’t give a damn.
Number 3. Wear short skirts whenever you have the mood and the event allows it.
Regarding number 1 choice, life is always teaching me that there is no such thing as “being forever safe”. So, if you really like those short skirts, don’t die tomorrow (or any day) with the regret of not wearing them (and don’t die with other regrets either… it’s not good for your health while you’re living and also it won’t be good for your death moment).
If you don’t care about events, weather, occasions, appropriate time of day and so on, you are a number 2 choice on the list and you can wear short skirts anytime, with the risk of being not so stylish and maybe to appear ridiculous at some moments.
Charles Bukowski said at one point that “any asshole can chase a skirt, art takes discipline”. He was talking about priorities in life, and we know that writing is an art and that it was his priority. But these words can be applied also in other areas. And yes, to be able to wear a short skirt and be stylish at the same time means that you have transformed dressing into an art, you have or you want to have a discipline and it means that you’re a number 3 choice on this list, so remember:
- Always take the weather into account. A short skirt on a rainy windy, very cold or stormy day does not look ridiculous only if on a mannequin in a window of a shop.
- If it’s still cold outside but you die of wanting to wear that gorgeous short skirt you have just bought (I know, I know…) wear it with a long coat. It’s good for your winter look as well as for your health. And don’t forget to put those long boots on. Cold can be a drag, and besides, a long coat for cold weather looks its best with a nice pair of boots.
- It’s warm outside. Or even hot. Let your short skirt be opaque, with no signs of underwear model beneath, unless you go to the beach and the model beneath is your bathing suit. And there are also many nuances, I’ll speak about them on a warm bright sunny day.
- Don’t wear it at the office. Don’t distract your fellow colleagues. Let good business flourish. Be patriotic.
- Wear it at the office. You have an extraordinary inspiring day and you work in the fashion industry. Lucky you.
- Don’t wear it at a first date. No matter how open-minded we pretend we are, there will always be the impression that you try too much, and on the wrong side.
- Wear it at a first date. No matter how open-minded we pretend we are, there will always be the impression that you try too much, and on the right side.
(Note: These two last points depend on what you consider to be the wrong and the right side, of course.)
- Don’t wear it at evening events, unless the event dress code is “party-party-partieee!” (with variations on this theme, clubbing included). If you see “cocktail”, “black tie” or “white tie” on the invitation and you’re not the night entertainer, let your very short skirt home to rest.
- Wear it in your free time, be it daytime or nighttime, but it’s advisable to have a car which you are actually using that day. The “no matter how open-minded we pretend we are” phrase still stands, at least in Romania, at least for a while, at least on the city’s great boulevards and its cosy little streets…
- Be careful not to over-accesorize. You already have a statement item on your lower half of your body. Just bracelets, or just a statement necklace, or just earrings will do just fine. The top should not reveal much skin, for the same reason, so: no backless tops, no transparencies, no décolletage – unless the party code is on.
- Colors and luminiscence. Here you can play. But it’s better for example not to mix a shiny little skirt with some animal print in it with some rainbow accesories, pearls, crystals or all of these together. Yes, it can be done, and it can be done brilliantly in all ways, but it takes experience to mix them right in order not to be ridiculous, so if you’re not sure and it’s not your usual style… don’t try this alone.
- Very short skirt and high heels. It can be stylish. It depends very much on the heels, the model of the shoes (simple), their color and the way you walk. Don’t bend the knees and stay straight. That which is not seen on other lenghts of skirt, at this „length” is very visible.
- And last, but not least, one of the most important aspects: put a very short skirt on and look objectively in the mirror. No. Again. O b j e c t i v e l y. Come on. If you have a body with good proportions, you are not overweight and you have quite a beautiful legs form, you can wear a very short skirt. You don’t have to be perfect. Before doing that be sure you’re not looking in a deforming slimming mirror. And if you reach the conclusion that a very short skirt is not for you, don’t worry: there are so many many other items and outfits in which you can look fabulous!
These are just a few points on the subject. Bukowski is right: there are other priorities in life. And if you love yourself, if you firstly take care of your inner life, your emotional and cultural life, having an open mind at all times to art and you experience your life and others’ lives as wonderful gifts – then, to express your inner being and to dress with style comes simply just as the result.