„I looked at the dress on the floor and it was as if the fire had spread across the room. It was beautiful and it reminded me of something I must do.”*
A favorite of mine, Johnny Depp, has said that nobody looks like a vampire anymore. Yes, the vampire thing has become so cliché lately. What a dissapointment. For both: that he said it, and that the reason he said it for – truly exists. Cliché or not, we can borrow something from the vampire image: STYLE.
Of course I don’t believe that vampires such as ones depicted in movies are for real. But there’s a certain something belonging to their type as it is shown there that is timeless. And I appreciate timeless stuff, such as style, not fashion.
Fandacsia hat www.fandacsia.ro
To be honest, I have grown into style by watching vampire horror movies. That’s how I started to enjoy castles, and costumes, candle lights, classical music and odd but stylish clothes. It was like I had finally reached home. I have found me and there, on a narrow shelf, forgotten by my childhood years as a girl wanting to be a boy, there it was, Style. It was a magical world suddenly opening for me.
I was watching those bad quality vampire movies not because of the action, which as you know is so poor, but because of the attitudes, gestures, looks and clothes of the vampire characters. You should try this, if you haven’t by now: take a classical vampire movie and as you watch it, don’t follow the action, but the characters. You will know what I mean.
Anyway, here are some things you could borrow from those movies, to justify their existence:
- You are to be powerful, beautiful and without regret. This is vampire Armand’s saying in “Interview with a Vampire”, you surely know this one (the character is played by Antonio Banderas). So, we have to remember that we are like this and act accordingly, meaning:
- You can dress a little bit odd during the day a a little bit more odd during the night.
Odd may mean to wear something vintage in a new way. You can try a brown leather jaket with a fur stole (the browns have to match and the jacket has to be the right cut).
Odd may mean also to wear something vintage in an old way. Instead of wearing the usual shiny fashionable gold spangle for the night, try something as I have, for example: a vintage bordeaux dress and a fancy hat. You could be Anna Karenina or vampire Anna Karenina, dead and ressurected, as you feel fit. For myself I prefer the latter, because I’m not at all into suicide and I’m all about ressurection.
- You can dress stylish and odd and don’t care if others think you’re stylish and odd. Be stylish in the first place and don’t care, because – right, you are powerful, beautiful and without regret.
- Be confident and feel your inner power, but don’t try to frighten anyone. Vampire women are known for their womanhood. If you, as a human (don’t forget what you really are!) are trying to scare someone but you don’t have the bite, you will look at least ridiculous. Well, if you have the bite, you will not be ridiculous, you will be wonderfully vampiresque, but you risk to visit some medical facilities for a short period of time, if the odds are not against you – meaning you could be declared psychotic or you could bite the wrong person, an escaped criminal or a sadist, for example. But let’s skip this and say the faith favors you – keep your teeth in your mouth and use just the smile – it can hurt just as much, if you want it to, or even deeper.
- Don’t try to act like a „new-born” vampire. You know, those „fresh” ones who can’t control themselves and do stupid things? No. Be a grown-up, a centuries enduring one. Be wise, calm and dangerous. Your gestures have to be smooth and steady. Your voice equal. Don’t use violence. It’s so unnecessary. Try to love. Use compassion. Powerful ones do that. Love and compassion are the more dangerous weapons.
Finally I will say something about red, my favorite color. It’s just this: „Colour is the touch of the eye, music to the deaf, a word out of the darkness. Because I’ve listened to souls whispering – like the susurrus of the wind – from book to book and object to object for tens or thousands of years, allow me to say that my touch resembles the touch of angels. Part of me, the serious half, calls out to your vision while the mirthful half sours through the air with your glances.
I’m so fortunate to be red! I’m fiery. I’m strong. I know men take notice of me and that I cannot be resisted. […]
Wherever I’m spread, I see eyes shine, passions increase, eyebrows rise and heartbeats quicken. Behold how wonderful it is to live! Behold how wonderful to see. I am everywhere. Life begins with and returns to me. Have faith in what I tell you.”**
*Jean Rhys – „Wide Sargasso Sea”
**Orphan Pamuk – „My name is Red”